[J-core] Sadly, the linuxconf.au talk isn't happening.

Joh-Tob Schäg johtobsch at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 13:44:35 UTC 2020

Hello Rob,

thank you for the explanation. I would feel the same way.
There is really no reason to do a video of our talk and do a skype for
questions with the attendants of this conference. I looked at the
pricing structure for attendees. They charge people in the "hobbyists"
tier around 400 $US and even their student pricing is around the
regular admissions price for 36C3. (36C3 is a day shorter but it
still) I do not think the visitors are as grass roots as it is made
out to be.

However i am a bit bummed that Jeff replaced a week of community
outreach with a week of engineering.
A work week for outreach with the existing community would have a huge
impact.[1]
I am sure the community here would welcome your presentation video(s)
instead. Also a Skype/Jitsi/... meetup or Q&A would certainly be
appreciated by the J-Core community. I think.

Johann-Tobias Schäg

[1] Back on the envelope calculation: a work week(=40h)/(80+20
subscribers on the mailing list) = 24 minutes per person. 8h of calls
every day is nonsense and i am sure not everyone on the mailing list
wants to be this involved.