[J-core] Sadly, the linuxconf.au talk isn't happening.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Fri Jan 3 06:01:32 UTC 2020

Several thousand dollars worth of international travel funding for Jeff and me
went through without a hitch but the follow-up request for $1000 in conference
tickets triggered "They want you to pay _them_ to speak? A negative honorarium?
No, that's a scam, this can't be a real conference" and the travel funding went
away again.

Rather than spend political capital on forcing "money people who report to
investors" to change their minds, Jeff got the travel money applied to expanding
an engineering project instead of going back into the travel budget, rescheduled
the week of travel/presentation time into a week of engineering time, and called
it good. (We offered to send a video of our talk and do a skype for questions,
but haven't heard back.)