[J-core] [Help request] I can't get the microcode generator to run

Geoff Salmon gsalmon at se-instruments.com
Thu Jul 21 23:36:37 EDT 2016

Hi Robert

According to leiningen's source, that message is printed when the static
method javax.tools.ToolProvider/getSystemJavaCompiler returns null. That
seems to happen when the java binary you're running is from a jre and
not a jdk.

https://wiki.debian.org/JavaPackage describes ways of switching which
jdk/jre 'java' will run. Maybe the following will switch to use the jdk?

# update-java-alternatives -l
# update-java-alternatives -s jdk-8-oracle-x64

 From your "java -version" output, it looks like the java being run
isn't one of the listed openjdk packages. Maybe it belongs to an oracle
jre that didn't show up in your "grep jdk"?

- Geoff