[J-core] Fwd: Re: nvc and j-core project RTL

D. Jeff Dionne Jeff at SE-Instruments.com
Sun Jun 12 10:36:54 EDT 2016

On Jun 12, 2016, at 01:53, Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:

> Anybody wanna try feeding the full j2 SOC (not just the stripped down j1 without peripherals) into nvc and see what breaks? :)

I would bet on 'configurations'.   They are a rather obscure (why?) vhdl construct.  It seems most RTL engineers just make entities of only one implementation, and don't use the configuration language feature to select different implementations, e.g. Spartan 6, inferred or simulation.  A lot of proprietary tools have problems with this, at least in older revisions.

The soc infrastructure and decoder selection uses this construct.