[J-core] New Numato Mimas, no serial output from boot loader or Linux

Brian Bartholomew bartholomew.brian at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 29 21:50:28 EDT 2016

Thank you, Rich.  The Numato Mimas v2 is just now working for me.  It
explains the "connected to /dev/ttyS0" message from microcom, which I
thought was odd, but I assumed /dev/ttyACM0 aliased /dev/ttyS0
somehow.  Solution was that this line from the http://j-core.org
instructions:

	stty -F /dev/ttyACM0 -crtscts && ~/busybox-x86_64 microcom -s 115200 /dev/ttyACM0

Which I simplified to using microcom from Ubuntu 14.04:

	stty -F /dev/ttyACM0 -crtscts && microcom -s 115200 /dev/ttyACM0

Needed a -p flag added before the port:

	stty -F /dev/ttyACM0 -crtscts && microcom -s 115200 -p /dev/ttyACM0

I'll demo it at hackerspace this Tuesday.  Previously I demo'ed an
HX8K running a few things I'd written with yosys and a Forth on a soft
CPU.  They already know I want an FPGA Linux laptop-shaped-object.

Next week I'll download the 30 GB of Xilinx FPGA tools.

http://j-core.org contains the typo "Xlinux" for "Xilinx".
Am I running "Xilinux"?

I want to try to get VGA and a slow-speed ethernet going on the Numato
as a way to learn about FPGA.

I hope those Turtles are offered for sale soon, I'd rather have my
hackerspace buddies buy the preferred platform.

Brian