[J-core] Google Skywater PDK to manufacture J-32 CPUs?

D. Jeff Dionne jeff at coresemi.io
Thu Sep 3 19:38:40 UTC 2020

On Sep 3, 2020, at 15:32, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <glaubitz at physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

Hello,

Yes, we've considered it.  We've had a few discussions with the project leader, but there are a few problems:

1. The PDK still isn't quite where it needs to be.  We need RAM, PLL and some IO cells which are not quite there,

2. They are not actually providing free silicon when design files are provided.  They allow a project to put their design into not a pad ring, but a RISC-V test and management harness that also provides IO.

1 will come with time, and 2 we're not interested in.

We will talk with SkyWater directly at some point, but all our own cells (the company that is responsible for J-Core) are 180nm and 152nm, so we'd have to port them.

Something like this will happen at some point...
J.