[J-core] We have started!

D. Jeff Dionne jeff at coresemi.io
Mon Mar 16 02:56:22 UTC 2020

I did a quick feasibility check of the CPU with GHDL synth and yosys,
it looks like the 45k gate device would be better for a full SMP system
with DDR RAM.  The GHDL and Yosys tool flow is getting pretty good now,
but we've still not managed to get a bitstream out of it and nextpnr
for somehting meaningful... rapidly advancing though.

The sticking point for this board is the SDRAM... J-Core memory
controller only supports DDR, DDR2 and LPDDR.  There are a few boards
with this issue that J-Core could support if we were to write a simple
SDRAM controller, or I suppose we could bolt someone else's on.  Still
a bit of work to teach the SoC generator how to connect the bus bridges
and cache controllers.

J.