[J-core] We're not making ELC Europe.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu Oct 3 18:03:15 EDT 2019

On 10/3/19 9:19 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> Hi Rob!

>>> Will the LX25 be large enough for J4 single processor?
>>
>> Single processor should fit, yes.
>
> Adding to this two quick questions:
>
> - Has there been any work on J4 yet?

Yes, we call it J32 because there's no strong reason to piss of Renesas'
trademark lawyers, and because what we care about is userspace compatibility
with sh4 but kernel space is different because we decided to a do a different
(much smaller) MMU implementation.

Hence the need to port the kernel to it.

> - Is the J4 fully source-compatible with the standard SH4 core?
>
> I'm asking because there is a lot of existing SH4-compatible
> open source software out there, in particular OpenBSD, NetBSD
> and Debian, of course ;).

Yes. Userspace, we plan to be compatible with. The MMU is different.