[J-core] We're not making ELC Europe.

BGB cr88192 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 07:26:47 EDT 2019

On 10/3/2019 3:50 AM, wjones at wdj-consulting.com wrote:
>> LX45 is large enough for J32 (aka J4) MMU SMP, and probably UP J64.
>
> Will the LX25 be large enough for J4 single processor? Not too worried
> about SMP, but I would like to run a CPU w/ an MMU on this board.

Looking it up, it should be possible.
In many areas, stats for the XC6SLX25 are comparable to those of the
XC7S25 (though, the latter has fewer LUTs, but more DSP's and BRAM; both
use LUT6's).

Though, unrelated, I have fit my own cores (as a 64-bit ISA with 32
GPRs, also with MMU and FPU, and some peripheral hardware), onto an XC7S25.

Main concern is that SH4 wants a 64-entry fully associative TLB, which
is rather expensive.
A cheaper alternative is a 64x4 (4-way associative) TLB, which despite
conceptually being ~ 4x larger (256 entries total), ends up using less
resources. Was never fully confirmed, but Linux shouldn't notice all
that much if it is different.

Another slightly problematic area is that the way SH4 does its FPU
registers and state, which adds some cost.

Some cost-saving options are to only use a single mode (say, double
precision), reuse GPRs for FPU (only really viable with 64b GPRs), and
omit hardware support for "expensive" features (FDIV, FSQRT, denormals,
alternate rounding modes, ...). This makes the FPU no longer IEE-754
conformant, but does notably reduce cost without much visible impact on
application code.

Sadly, there isn't really a good way to change any of this for SH4, so
its FPU would end up naturally being more expensive. One would also end
up with either needing to shim format conversion in with register
fetch/writeback (adds latency), or to effectively have both a single and
double precision FPU running in parallel (more expensive), more so as
one needs a bunch of extra state-machine logic or similar to deal with
FDIV and FSQRT (basically, one reroutes the "plumbing" for the FADD and
FMUL units through some internal registers to perform Newton-Raphson via
a state-machine).

But, still, an SH4 should still fit I would think...