[J-core] ROM image generator.

D. Jeff Dionne Jeff at SE-Instruments.com
Tue Nov 19 16:52:31 UTC 2019

For this case there are a few things that come to mind:

- Lattice tools don’t properly elaborate some constructs.

Normally, we would just have the entity that instantiates the Block RAM read a file... possibly even just the ELF file directly (yes, VHDL to read and parse ELF is somewhere in our repos).  Unfortunately, Lattice doesn’t know how to do this (e.g. Xilinx ISE does) and so conv.c came out of frustration.

- Latrice elaboration will assign a constant to a ROM.

But even though the whole ice40 port is a little hack to prove J1 is feasible (as opposed to the very large J2 designs J-Core is normally used in), I wanted it to at least be a little ‘clean’.  So, putting the ROM init contents in a separate package seemed like a good compromise, instead of just listing the values inline in the instantiation.

- The package should be general, and contain no implementation details, except about the code itself.

So exporting constants from the package seem to make a lot of sense.  I’d go so far as to make conv.c create constants for entry point, length, stack etc.  Prob. never used, but who cares, it doesn’t take long.

- Use the VHDL language features.

In this case, it’s not even VHDL specific, but the best thing to do is to explicitly set only those elements that are non zero.  Then in the instantiation entity, add (others => x”000000000”).  In the package, maybe even make it sparse.  Then just make the init array just as long as the ROM data.  If it’s too long, it’ll fail when you synthesise as needed, but you don’t need to keep the package and the instantiation in sync.

I’ll try and find a few min to make an example today....

Cheers,
J.