[J-core] Reduce FPGA foot print of multiple softcores on one FPGA by sharing multiplier, barrelshifter, divider or FPU between them

D. Jeff Dionne Jeff at SE-Instruments.com
Fri Dec 27 16:28:57 UTC 2019

Resource sharing is a very useful approach.

The multiplier is basically not a win, basically for the reasons you imply: the multiplexing is non trivial.  J2 achilles heal is the muxing in the datapath already.  OTOH, the multipliers are hard macros in modern fpgas.

The J2 barrel shifter is optimized for 4 input lut architectures, in the current implementation.  It’s pretty big, and that might be a good candidate.

But making a generic coprocessor interface multiplexor seems like it might be a good idea.  We had intended the FPU to be one instance per 2 cores anyway...

Cheers,
J.