[J-core] Turtle FPGA

D. Jeff Dionne Jeff at SE-Instruments.com
Fri Jan 5 01:14:14 EST 2018

Hi Cedric,

Yes, we agree with this.   Our customer facing work has moved to Kintex 7 quite a while back.  The turtle project has not stalled completely, but resourcing has been hard... in the mean time, fpga vendors and tools march foreword.

The only sticking point for a J-Core build is Artix 7 requires Vivado, and our build system doesn't know how to drive those tools.  K7 can still be targeted by the ISE tools, so that was easy.  We are told by the Xilinx tools group that Vivado will produce better results (specifically, the placer in Vivado is supposed to do a much better job).

We don't think that driving Vivado tools with a Makefile based build system is hard... we just haven't had time to try it.   Of course, we are all for yosys targeting fpga families and processes we target, that is ideal.   The sticking point for yosys remains vhdl front end support, and that has proven to be a harder problem than many suspected.   I remain convinced that a path there is NVC -> intermediate netlist -> yosys.

Cheers,