[J-core] [RFC] SIMD extention for J-Core

Ken Phillis Jr kphillisjr at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 17:12:02 EDT 2017

On  Wed, 25 Oct 2017 23:08:30 -0500,   BGB  wrote:
> On 10/25/2017 6:59 PM, Ken Phillis Jr wrote:
>> I figure I will include my Idea for an easy to use SIMD Extension for
>> the J-Core. In general this extension will be used for Three Types of
>> number formats...
>>
>> Format 1: Signed, and Unsigned Integers
>> Format 2: Floating Point Values
>> Format 3: Fixed Point Values - This is low priority, and most likely
>> will be dropped unless sample applications requiring this
>> functionality can be found. Also, in many cases, this can be simulated
>> using existing floating point and integer math routines.
>
> errm, usually the fixed-point *is* the packed integer operations.
>
> there are edge-cases, for example a fixed-point multiply is usually done
> as (X*Y>>SH); sometimes the shift is omitted or delayed depending on how
> it is used; or will produce a wider result and only keep the high order
> bits (typically if working with unit-scale values).
>
> possible could be an op that does, say:
>      c[i]=clamp((a[i]*b[i])>>shift, min, max);
>
> which could more easily allow some things which can't readily be done
> with packed multiply ops which keep only the low or high bits.
>
> such an operation would probably require a 32-bit instruction-format
> though to represent effectively.

I know this, and the SIMD Instructions probably should be expanded to
allow for Fixed point math.

>> New CPUID Flags:
>> SIMD_INTEGER8
>> SIMD_INTEGER16
>> SIMD_INTEGER32
>> SIMD_INTEGER64
>> SIMD_HALF_PRECISION_FLOAT
>> SIMD_SINGLE_PRECISION_FLOAT
>> SIMD_DOUBLE_PRECISION_FLOAT
>>

>> New Registers: simd0 to simd15
>> These Registers are 128-bits in size, and are used to perform a bulk
>> of the SIMD Math.
>
> well, you can maybe get one or two of those.
>
> my proposal is that SIMD would use the same register space as the FPU.
> it makes a lot more sense (considering the design of the SH FPU) than it
> did for x87/MMX (where basically the two subsystems were at odds with
> each other and effectively couldn't be used simultaneously).
>
> granted, the actual register ordering gets a little convoluted if one
> considers vectors:
> * my designs had defined XR0=(FR1,FR0,XF1,XF0); XR2=(FR3,FR2,XF3,XF2), ...
> * I had considered a full 16x SIMD registers, but am now leaning towards 8.
> ** size of the register space can itself be a problem.
> ** the memory blocks needed for registers are generally more scarce than
> those for normal memory;
> ** ...

I did not know about the Register space constraints. To safe in both
Register Space, and Instruction Space, the SIMD Instructions I
recommended can actually completely replace the old Floating Point
unit. This means that the FPR0_bank0 to FPR15_bank0, and FPR0_bank1 to
FPR15_bank1 would change into just the following registers...
SIMD0_BANK0 to SIMD15_bank0, and SIMD0_bank1 to simd15_Bank1 and all
be 128-bits in size. Also, to save space, a bank of the simd registers
can be removed.

>> SIMD Configuration Instructions:
>>
>> SIMD.IMODE - This configures the Integer Math mode of the Integer SIMD
>> Operations. The accepted modes should include the following:
>> * Integer Carry Mode - See ADDC and SUBC for example.
>> * Value UnderFlow and OverFlow Mode - See ADDV and SUBV  for examples.
>> * Integer Type: Signed and Unsigned values with sizes of 8-bit,
>> 16-bit, 32-bit, and 64-bits.
>>
>> SIMD.FMODE - This configures the Floating Point Mode. This can change
>> the Operation Data size, and In particular the SIMD FPU should support
>> Half-Precision ( 16-bit), Single Precision (32-bit), and Double
>> Precision (64-bit) Floating Point numbers. This also has configuration
>> settings for what happens when Floating point errors occur.
>
> packed double is probably seriously overkill at this stage, and would be
> rather expensive (unless emulated using scalar operations).
>
> assuming this sticks with the same basic register space as the SH4 FPU,
> then presumably, if SIMD and FPU coexist on the same core, float and
> double could be done with scalar ops (and/or if packed float/double ops
> exist they may internally "decay" into several scalar ops executed in
> series).

The SIMD.FMODE is meant to be a replacement for the FPSCR Instruction.
As far as Double Precision floating Point is concerned, A viable
solution would be to reduce performance on these values by only
Instructions in this mode only have a single True 64-bit Floating
Point unit available at this time.

Now as far as Implementation is Concerned, I know of a few existing
Open Source Floating Point cores exist, and they are already licensed
under an ISC Styled license...
32-bit Floats: https://opencores.org/project,fpu
32-bit Floats: https://opencores.org/project,fpu100
64-bit Floats: https://opencores.org/project,fpu_double - This Core
may be of great use, and I wonder how much logic space is used by
this.