[J-core] Port Idea: Little Kernel

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz glaubitz at physik.fu-berlin.de
Sat Nov 4 07:20:41 EDT 2017

On 11/04/2017 11:51 AM, D. Jeff Dionne wrote:
> The tool chain meanwhile is very mature, and actively maintained. Please use the
> musl cross make (last check in: Wednesday) https://github.com/richfelker/musl-cross-make
> to build it.  Any regressions or build breaks for the J-Core target can be posted here,
> or direct to the maintainer, who is also the arch kernel maintainer...

This is also using gcc which is effectively unmaintained for SH at the moment,
so I don't know how this is going to help with upstream gcc bugs. The bugs are
there, they remain unfixed for months as both Oleg and Kaz don't seem to be
interested anymore.

> I think it likely that the J-Core / SH kernel maintainers may have missed
> your patches on the kernel list.

The official kernel maintainers are both Rich Felker and Yoshinori Sato, both
haven't reviewed any patches sent to linux-sh for several months. I have briefly
talked to Yoshinori and he would only answer me when I wrote him in Japanese,
he said would return to kernel development in summer which didn't happen.

> Please post them here... Rich, Rob and Jeff read this list, at least most of the time.
> (To reiterate, we develop this stuff and on thus stuff every day at our day jobs).

Work on gcc and the kernel should happen on the appropriate lists, not somewhere
hidden in the dark. Other kernel developers expect their patches for SuperH
to be reviewed on the linux-sh LKML, not here. Again, lots of patches are
sent and remain without review. If this happens too often, I'm afraid the
kernel developers will mark the SuperH port as unmaintained again with the
risk of it getting eventually removed from the kernel.

To reiterate from my side: Both upstream gcc and kernel for SH are currently
effectively unmaintained. And if it wasn't for me maintaining Debian's sh4
port, the whole Linux SuperH port would have probably been dead long ago.

If anyone on this list wants J-Core to be maintained on Linux, you should start
helping with my efforts both in Debian and upstream.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
: :' :  Debian Developer - glaubitz at debian.org