[J-core] json instructions set

Cedric BAIL cedric.bail at free.fr
Wed Jul 12 12:50:31 EDT 2017

Hello,

On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 10:50 AM, Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:
> On 06/26/2017 07:12 PM, Cedric BAIL wrote:
>> As I know there will be discussion regarding the license, it is
>> currently under GPLv3, but it can be relicensed to whatever any one
>> really prefer. I don't think this work is impacted by the original
>> license of the code that generate
>> http://www.shared-ptr.com/sh_insns.html (GPLv3 doesn't apply on the
>> output of the program and you can run that program locally).
>
> Rich thinks I worry too much about this stuff, but you said you expected
> a discussion, so...

Yes, and I was expecting you earlier than that :-) Anyway thanks for
sharing your concern and experience, this is what I was expecting.

> What's your basis for saying the license doesn't apply to the program's
> output? I didn't run the compiler, therefore the license doesn't apply
> to binary the compiler created? I didn't run the PDF display program,
> therefore these screen shots of pages of the latest bestseller aren't
> copyrighted?

My basis was that the intent of the license, GPLv3, is not to cover
the output. It is a usual expectation from developers (which are not
lawyer, but have some expectation of the license they choose). The
fact that the content was put by him on shared-ptr with no
restriction, kind of push further in that understanding of the author
intent. Obviously this is not enough I am sure, and the best was to
ask Oleg about his intent here. After a very short email with him, he
made it clear that for him the license doesn't apply on the output,
but to appease everyone and make life easier, he switched the license
of the generator to MIT. After a big thanks to Oleg, I think this is
good enough, no ? :-)
--
Cedric BAIL