[J-core] MMU-Design

BGB cr88192 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 22:58:31 EST 2017

On 12/4/2017 9:08 AM, D. Jeff Dionne wrote:
> Excellent paper with real metrics wrt design decisions.   Old enough
> that the patents have expired:
> ftp://ftp.cs.wisc.edu/pub/techreports/1995/TR1277.pdf

the paper is long, so skimmed a bit, but I guess an idea that I can
gather from this is that larger pages can be useful, but used as a
collection of smaller pages?

I hadn't really thought of this.

or, was there something else here I missed?...

with the existing MMU interface, this would allow for a 64kB logical
superpage.
* though, a possible tweak could be replacing 1kB and 1MB pages with
16kB and 4MB.
* I guess it is probably an alternative to accepting a constant stream
of TLB misses as an inevitability.