[J-core] Numato board oscilloscope?

Daniel V daniel.viksporre at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 03:45:37 EDT 2016

> What would be involved in running the bus signals for something like the
> SD card out to GPIO pins, and what would be involved in having a second
> j2 system (on its own Numato/Turtle board) act as a software scope
> reading from ITS gpio pins?
>
> There appears to be Linux software out there for this already...
>
> http://www.instructables.com/id/PiScope-Raspberry-Pi-based-Oscilloscope/
>
> Rob

There is a difference between an oscilloscope and a logic analyzer. An
oscilloscope can be used to look at the actual analog output of
digital signals.

I posted two links a while ago on this mailinglist, quote...
"
When it comes to hardware development there is a Logic analyzer...
http://www.sump.org/projects/analyzer/
and a oscilloscope...
http://mhz100q.sourceforge.net/
"

If you have a big enough FPGA you can fetch fast signals, even
internally in the FPGA. I used one in the altera environment when a
developed a VGA graphic RTL. Basically you could make a logic analyzer
in VHDL, that lat say a j-core could access. Then you could fetch
actual signal in the CPU, that is not simulated, but actual samplings
of internal signals.

// Daniel V.