[J-core] Compiled kernel and DTB

Rich Felker dalias at libc.org
Wed May 25 18:01:33 EDT 2016

On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 10:39:47PM +0200, Daniel Lezcano wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I succeed to create a kernel following the instructions [1].
>
> The system fails to boot because of the DTB not found.
>
> I did not generated a new rootfs. How can I generate the dtb ?
>
> Thanks !

Future versions of the source will put the DTB in the bitstream as
part of the boot rom, but it's not there yet because we're trying to
respect binding stability and don't want any bindings "hard-coded"
before they're official. For now, you need a "dt.dtb" file on the sd
card. For the Numato Mimas v2 board, this can be generated from the
arch/sh/boot/dts/j2_mimas_v2.dts file provided in the kernel patch
series, using dtc.

Alternatively you can apply the builtin-dtb patch I posted on the
linux-sh list a while back and select to link it in vmlinux, in which
case bootloader-provided DTB will be ignored. This approach is not
really intended for use with J2 but with legacy SH systems, once the
support for them is converted over to DT, in cases where it might be
hard to add a DTB to the existing bootloader.

Rich