[J-core] How crazy would a nommu debian port be?

Cedric BAIL cedric.bail at free.fr
Sun Aug 21 17:17:49 EDT 2016

On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 10:02 PM, D. Jeff Dionne
<Jeff at se-instruments.co.jp> wrote:
> Turtle has as noted below HDMI, and I've tested the hardware.  Turtle also has composite video, which I have not tested.  Making a quick circuit that generates timing for VGA, HDMI or composite video is very simple (a few 10s lines of RTL), the question is really if you want to be able to alter that timing or if it is acceptable to have one or a small number of fixed resolutions (at first, this could be fine).

Well, HDMI is kind of an overkill, but if it is there, it is
definitively enough :-) As for a small number of fixed resolutions,
does that means we could change the supported resolution in the VHDL
and just rebuild it to match the output ? Or would it requires more
work ? If it would be the first case, I believe that would be
perfectly fine in my opinion.

> As Rich says, the DMA engine (which I don't think we've released yet, since there is no hardware that people can buy that could use it yet) can simply feed data into a smallish FIFO and out through any of these interfaces.  That hardware can be very thin, and it is a good idea to use the DMA chain mode to set up a display list to implement e.g. flip buffers or scrolling.  The size of the fifo need not be that large, in FPGA a single block RAM will give you a large enough buffer to allow the DMA block transfer size maximal to reduce overhead, and relax inter-transfer latency requirements.  If you're careful, you could even do sprites or similar.

I haven't played with VHDL in a decade, and never with real hardware
(FPGA) only simulation... This would be an interesting project to look
at. Will need serious recommendation on what to read and where to
start. It would maybe be a good thing to have some guidance page on
the web site. Like recommended documentation to read, example and
coding style.

> The issue is drawing into the buffer in the first place.  Rich did some benchmarking on memory copy, and this is a similar problem set.  With come clever programming or hardware, one could get DMA assist on block copy.

Yes, I am expecting that. memcpy and memset are usually the limit on
every hardware when doing graphics anyway. That's why the most
important technic is to not draw anything if possible :-) Partial
update and hardware plane are usually the best helper there. If you
look at your screen how many pixels do really change at once. That's
the only thing your CPU really need to work on. With clever UI design
and proper cut off on the useless drawing, a J2 should provide enough
possibility, but you are indeed pointing to an interesting point.
Would it be possible to speedup memcpy and memset with some DMA assist
? It is usually not possible as the cost of going into the kernel and
setting up MMU destroy all possible gain, but maybe on a J2 it makes
sense.

Also do you have any idea of the energy consumption of the J2 on an
ASIC ? I am believing it should be pretty low right now. If it is the
case, it really could be an interesting target for wearable display.

> But the real win would come from hardware assist on 2D primitives, which X or anything else could use.  That would make for an interesting project, but not something our team here will be able to spend time on, or even look into...

Hum, I don't know. Today, none of the major toolkit use X primitive
and they are badly supported by all major GPU driver. I don't even
know if a 2D raster accelerator (something that would allow arbitrary
line compositing) would be beneficial, as the maintenance and porting
of pixman and cairo will be quite tricky. It may be easier to maintain
some hardware acceleration for decompressing jpeg/png as that doesn't
evolve over time and the API of the related libraries are really
stable. This would likely speedup startup time of any
desktop/application and be more maintenable over time. The main
question would be, could that fit inside the Turtle FPGA along with
the DMA hadrware plane ?

Thanks,
  Cedric

--