[J-core] VHDL by Example

Geoff Salmon gsalmon at se-instruments.com
Wed Aug 17 14:26:19 EDT 2016

On 16-08-16 06:39 PM, Geoff Salmon wrote:

> If you're setting out to learn VHDL, it's essential you can simulate it
> and see the waveforms. I use GHDL [http://home.gna.org/ghdl/
> https://github.com/tgingold/ghdl] to simulate and view the resulting
> waveforms in GTKWave [http://gtkwave.sourceforge.net/]. v0.33 of GHDL is
> available built for a number of platforms
> https://github.com/tgingold/ghdl/releases
>
> I sent a tarball containing a couple vhdl entities and a script to
> simulate them to an older mailing list. I'll try to find that and post
> it here.

It's now hosted here
http://j-core.org/downloads/examples/vhdl_sim_v1.tar.gz and contains a
Makefile that builds two VHDL simulations: one a simple hello world that
shows printing messages to the console, and the other a more interesting
serializer and deserializer with a test bench. See the README for more
details.

- Geoff