[J-core] Is a small Linux distribution available for J2 on Numato Mimas?

Rich Felker dalias at libc.org
Sat Aug 6 14:03:37 EDT 2016

On Sat, Aug 06, 2016 at 04:34:46PM +0100, Abhishek Madhyastha wrote:
> Hi Rich,
>
> What'd be your opinion on the Ethernet expansion board that Numato
> provides(this was discussed a while ago on another mail chain)?
>
> I mean, it wouldn't make sense for them to provide an expansion board
> & use a Xilinx EDK made emac to talk to it if it would be this slow,
> right?

I don't follow. The Numato board is a general-purpose FPGA board.
There's no reason it even needs to have a soft-core CPU; you can do
lots of meaningful things coding directly in a HDL. Either way,
ethernet is useful for lots of applications without high-speed data
processing.

> What am I missing here? Is it the lack of an OS while using the
> Microblaze to interface to the emac(& subsequently the phy on the
> expansion board)?

I don't understand what you're asking.

Rich