[J-core] Pondering j-core kickstarter ideas.

Ken Phillis Jr kphillisjr at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 13:18:05 EDT 2017

I saw this thread from over a year ago, and figured I'd offer a two stage

Stage 1: An do it yourself Arduino-like device.

This is probably going to use either the J1, and/or J2 core. However,
almost all of these features will probably make it into the newer cores in
some form since there is very little reason to exclude these features.
* 8 Channels of Analog to Digital ( ADC).
* 8 Channels of Digital to Analog Conversion ( DAC). ( Should Match the ADC
in bits).
* Inter-Integrated Circuit (I2C) support
* Inter-IC Sound ( I2S)
* Serial Peripheral Interface (SPI) support
* Universal Asynchronous Receiver-Transmitter (UART)
* Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) support.
* full-size USB Port or Micro USB Port.
* Built-in USB Programmer support
* Built-in USB OTG Support - The example code for this will be use as
Serial I/O.
* support for Full size or Micro SDHC Cards.
* 40 pin gpio header that is electrically compatible with Raspberry Pi GPIO.

KickStart Idea 2: Game Console.
This is pretty much for the J3, J4 and/or J64 chips. In general mostly
expansion of features. I also figure a lot of the features on this will
probably take a lot of time/effort... The features for this are provided
blow...

* EMMC Support
* SATA Support
* Memory Controller - This is either DDR3 and/or ddr4 memory support.
*Audio Output - this not required, but should be helpful. The I2S support
can probably serve to implement this.
* Video Output - Examples of this includes DisplayPort, DVI, HDMI, MIPI
Display interface, and VGA ports.
* 2D Graphics Process - This is mostly OpenVG 1.1
* 3D Signal Processing - 3d Rendering in OpenGL ES 1.1 or 2.0 should be
helpful.
* USB Host capability
* Ethernet/Wireless capabilities
* Bluetooth

J-Core Instruction set expansion: Add a cpuid Function -
This is seen on most major processors, and can save end users/developers a
lot of problems since the code being run can ensure the rest of the program
can road since the developer can safely detect missing features that are
expected.