[J-core] Exploitable broadcom wifi chips.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sat Jul 29 05:29:26 EDT 2017

When preparing one of our earlier j-core talks on why open hardware is a
good idea, we had several examples of how many different processors
there are in modern laptops (hard drive controllers, usb controllers,
system management mode nonsense, etc) that are exploitable but not under
the user's control.

Here's another one: broadcom wifi chips have an ARM processor running an
embedded OS, and of course it's exploitable:

  https://blog.exodusintel.com/2017/07/26/broadpwn/

It would be nice to have cycles to write about this sort of thing again...