[J-core] Assembly tutorial?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon May 2 19:54:03 EDT 2016

On 05/02/2016 07:15 AM, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Mon, May 02, 2016 at 06:03:28AM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
>> We should put together a j2 assembly language tutorial. There's some
>> inline assembly material at:
>>
>>  https://github.com/0xAX/linux-insides/blob/master/Theory/asm.md
>>
>> But we need shmobile-specific stuff about branch delay slots and what
>> registers are conventionally used for what in C function calling
>> conventions and Linux system calls and so on.
>>
>> We have a good reference, but we need a tutorial...
>
> I can possibly write one. BTW, s/shmobile-/??/?
>
> Rich

Sorry, "shcompact".

(I just did http://j-core.org/roadmap.html and one of Jeff's corrections
is that the conventional 16 bit instruction set (as opposed to
"shmedia") has a specific name, so I'm trying to use it, albeit
apparently unable to remember it. I dunno if this was the name they gave
sh-1 or if it was a retcon how Star Wars is supposedly "A New Hope" now
and The Great War became World War I when we had another "war to end all
wars").

Part of what I'm thinking is if we get xv6 ported to jcore and get some
decent VHDL documentation/tutorial material up, we have the makings of
quite a compelling pair of college courses. (An open hardware processor
design course about jcore paired with a slight variation on MIT xv6
operating system design course.)