[J-core] What wiki should j-core.org use?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Jun 21 15:13:27 EDT 2016

On 06/19/2016 10:28 PM, D. Jeff Dionne wrote:
> The reason to use Trac is because it integrates the wiki with your
> source repo.

I don't know what that _means_.

The bright side of moinmoin was it stores its data in flat text files
(so I wouldn't be administering a database), and it's implemented in
python 2 (a language I more or less know).

> A wiki divorced from the sources isn't that interesting to me,
> because it just becomes a collection of random information (most
> of which is stale, almost be definition).  I've never seen that work.

That's pretty much what I expect out of a wiki, yes. But other
people seem to like them, so...

> The issue we would have is that I think GitHub wants to be all that
> by themselves, and having seen the rise and fall of such services,
> they never last as long as something like uClinux, nommu.org or
> j-core.

We can have a local copy of the git repo and just mirror it to
github as a distribution site.

> I don't disagree that we should have all of this up on GitHub,
> but to assume it is the primary repo is folly (see kernel.org
> as a counter example).

Exactly. (Linus doesn't pull from github. Policy, he doesn't trust it.)

> So then, I really think that an integration between Trac and
> Wordpress (with all the expected rich content, including inline
> podcasts and example videos, etc) is the correct approach.

I don't know what that's supposed to look like, but am happy to
go along with somebody who does. :)

> We are asking people to consider using the entire j-core ecosystem
> solution set for ASICs... it isn't and can't be a 'little' project
> if we want that (where 'that' represents multiple $100ks engineering
> investments in hard an opportunity costs) to happen...   Just my 2cents.

I'm all for it. I'm trying to scale the project up, it's just hard when
I'm supplying most of that content (doing writeups myself after learning
from the rest of the team) on top of everything else I should be doing.

I note that musl-libc.org has a wiki:

  http://wiki.musl-libc.org/wiki/Main_Page

But it's not immediately obvious to me what wiki that is, and on the
last page I looked at (http://wiki.musl-libc.org/wiki/Porting) the first
link was from 2011, the second from 2012...