[J-core] More archeology.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sun Jun 19 01:28:01 EDT 2016

On 06/09/2016 02:08 PM, Rob Landley wrote:
> There's actually interesting stuff on http://oss.renesas.com/ at least
> in the j3 timeframe.
>
> (There was a Fedora for sh4? There was android support for sh4?)

I looked at the Android stuff and it's shmedia, which means it's arm
with a superh processor glued on the side and probably largely ignored.

(You know how the Qualcomm Snapdragon SOC in phones has 4 processors on
it, one of which is the Qualcomm "Scorpion" Arm processor that runs
Linux and one ofwhich is a Qualcomm "Hexagon" that's used as a
multimedia coprocessor running an embedded OS, and even though Linux got
ported to Hexagon 5 years ago Android _didn't_, so all those android
phones still aren't running Linux on the hexagon? Yeah. shmedia is like
that, only less interesting.)

Oh well. Kinda moot until we get the sh3 version out with mmu anyway,
which isn't scheduled for this year unless somebody out there in the
open source world beats us to it. :)

Rob

(I proposed a "J-Core Roadmap" talk for ELC Europe. No idea if it'll
make. I'm aware the current stuff doesn't have much detail, and I really
wanted to have "fleshing out the roadmap documentation" as a prominent
todo item at the recent engineering get-together, but we just didn't
have time...)