[J-core] J-Core: Style Sheet Donation

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu Jul 28 17:29:14 EDT 2016

On 07/25/2016 02:04 PM, Santiago Gil wrote:
> Hi, Rob.

Finally had a chance to look at this today.

> So I would like to contribute to your efforts, and as you said in the
> talk that you were accepting style sheet donations (and it was something
> simple for me to do), I went ahead and did a simple redesign of the
> jcore website.
>
> I changed the layout but I didn't want to modify your content too much
> (just where there wasn't valid html), so maybe there are little details
> here and there that could look better.
>
> I attach you the files. If you like them, feel free to use them any way
> you like. Also, if there are some changes you'd like, or something else
> I can do, just let me know.

When I shrink the window width on chrome, your text overlaps between the
nav bar and the body of the page. The old one could go much smaller
before it had a problem, and then it introduced scrollbars to handle it.
(See attached screenshots.)

Attempting to factor out the "header.html copied inline into each file"
thing, I noticed that you replaced the tables with a css implementation
of tables. Is there a reason for that?

What does div class="nine columns" mean? It doesn't seem to be defined
in your css, and google only finds it in examples.

I tried installing the stylesheet(s) by themsevles without the many
other changes you made to the site (thanks for catching the typo in a
href="#download_bistream" but maybe that should be a separate commit?)
and the result... wasn't pretty. So I'm reading through to see what the
changes are.

Speaking of separate commits, in _theory_ there's a git repository at
the top level of j-core.org, but "git clone http://j-core.org/" doesn't
find it. (It's there when I ssh into the thing though, and I pull and
push to it through that just fine. I tried running "git
update-server-info" at a shell prompt on the server and it didn't do
anything I can detect. Mercurial had a static-http:// that "just worked"
and I understood what it _did_, but git is being all magical again.)

Thanks,

Rob