[J-core] How crazy would a nommu debian port be?

Rich Felker dalias at libc.org
Tue Aug 23 23:16:25 EDT 2016

On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 03:25:29PM -0700, Cedric BAIL wrote:

> >> As memcpy is part of the libc, doesn't that relax a bit the constraint
> >> ?
> >
> > Yes and no. To do it in userspace, the libc memcpy would have to be
> > aware of the specific dma controller available, where it's registers
> > are mapped, which channel it's permitted to use, how to negotiate
> > access to that dma channel and to the dma controller registers with
> > other processes, etc. It could be done if the kernel somehow provided
> > the information to the process in an appropriate form, but this is all
> > way outside the scope of what belongs in userspace, unless perhaps the
> > kernel simply provided it as a black box memcpy function in the vdso.
>
> I see your point. It seems hard to be doable in a vdso, no ? Well, at
> least in case where you have a mmu and you proper separation between
> user space and kernel. I am not a kernel developer nor a libc
> developer, so I might be wrong.

On nommu, the code the kernel provides in the vdso could theoretically
program the dmac from userspace to eliminate syscall overhead. With
mmu, it would need to make the dma_memcpy syscall. The advantage of
having vdso code do it rather than libc code would just be that the
kernel could provide hardware-specific logic for the cutoffs at which
dma is an advantage.

Rich