[J-core] VHDL by Example

varghese a varghese.alphons at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 13:27:53 EDT 2016

hi,

 I am also a beginner ,  may be you can start from this...

http://radio.ubm.ro/EA/Documente/Cursuri_Laboratoare/Diverse/Wiley%20Fpga%20Prototyping%20By%20Vhdl%20Examples%20Xilinx%20Spartan%203%20Version%20Feb%202008.pdf

1. Do a hello world programming  using  Numato mima-v2

http://langster1980.blogspot.in/2014/12/numato-mima-v2-tutorial.html

2.Read some basic instructions about VHDL

3. start implementing combinational circuits , You can use switches  & LEDS
for testing
   a.AND Gate
   b.OR
   c.NAND
   d.NOR
   e.XOR
   f.HAlf Adder/sub
   g.Full addr /Sub
   h.Multiplexer /Demultipluxer
   i.Encoder/Decoder
   j.BCD/Gray code/Binary conversion
   k.comparator

4.Sequential circuits
   1.SR flipflops
   2.JK
   3.D
   4.T
   5. Shift registers
   6.serial parallel converter
   7.counters /Timers

5. State machine

6.Try implementing UART/ I2C /SPI /PWM
    Press any switch /send UART message & capture it using USB serial
    Can implement I2C based Clock - ds1307

here r some useful code for implementing it  http://opencores.org/

7. I think Numato has SPI Flash , try reading/writing to it     (Not sure
about the memory location)
     may be we can write some dummy instruction set & decode it .

8. Now all set to read the real the processor code..

Regards,
Varghese