[J-core] MimasV2Config.py issues

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sat Apr 16 17:32:05 EDT 2016

On 04/16/2016 12:37 PM, Trevor Woerner wrote:
> On Sat 2016-04-16 @ 12:05:54 PM, Geoff Salmon wrote:
>>   virtualenv -p /usr/bin/python3 env
>>   source env/bin/activate
>>   pip install pyserial
>>   sudo python MimasV2Config.py /dev/ttyACM0 numato.bin
>
> python3?
>
>>   deactivate
>>
>> This creates a directory named "env" that holds the python environment. You
>> can change "env" to whatever name you want. After creating the environment
>> the first time, subsequent bitstream loads need only
>>
>>  source env/bin/activate
>>  sudo python MimasV2Config.py /dev/ttyACM0 numato.bin
>
> python3?

I remember Fedora proposed changed the /usr/bin/python symlink to point
to python3 (breaking _everything_). I don't remember if they ever
actually went through it:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Python_3_as_Default

>>  deactivate
>
> Also, both here and the instructions on the website keep mentioning
> numato.bin, but the build actually creates a mimas_v2.bin, these are the same
> file?

Yeah they're the same file. Numato is the manufacturer, mimas_v2 is the
board.

The protocol is more or less trivial, it's a series of 27 byte packets
with some minor setup stuff. Porting it to C might actually be easier
than porting to python 2. But with the current tool the actual flashing
part takes 10x longer than even cursoring up and hitting enter 20 times.
(It fails reasonably fast when it fails.)

So I haven't bothered yet. It's waaaaay down my todo list. If somebody
else wants to... :)