[J-core] MimasV2Config.py issues

Geoff Salmon gsalmon at se-instruments.com
Sat Apr 16 12:05:54 EDT 2016

On 16-04-16 11:16 AM, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 16, 2016 at 07:16:35AM -0400, Christopher Friedt wrote:
>> On Apr 15, 2016 10:54 PM, "Rob Landley" <rob at landley.net> wrote:
>>> I have a todo item to make the python script itself retry internally.
>>
>> Ugh - sounds like a job for C.
>
> A C version of the utility would be nice to have, but the python3 one
> seems to work fine as long as you don't have the broken (possibly just
> outdated and lacking bug fixes) Ubuntu package. You might try
> uninstalling their python-serial package and using pip (the command is
> probably pip3 for python3) to get the latest version. I had to use
> pip3 (or else manual install) because my distro doesn't have a python3
> version of the python serial package, and after installing it that
> way, it worked every time.

I've had success using virtualenv to install python libs from pip
without putting them in the global site-packages directory or needing to
uninstall the distro's packaged versions. With the ubuntu packages
'python3', 'python-pip' and 'python-virtualenv' installed try

   virtualenv -p /usr/bin/python3 env
   source env/bin/activate
   pip install pyserial
   sudo python MimasV2Config.py /dev/ttyACM0 numato.bin
   deactivate

This creates a directory named "env" that holds the python environment.
You can change "env" to whatever name you want. After creating the
environment the first time, subsequent bitstream loads need only

  source env/bin/activate
  sudo python MimasV2Config.py /dev/ttyACM0 numato.bin
  deactivate

- Geoff