[J-core] bad config.vhd value

Geoff Salmon gsalmon at se-instruments.com
Fri Apr 15 17:31:04 EDT 2016

On 16-04-15 05:00 PM, Trevor Woerner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I ran through the procedure at:
>
> 	http://j-core.org/index.html
>
> and ended up with an error:
>
> 	ERROR:HDLCompiler:806 - "/home/trevor/devel/j-core/soc_top/output/2016-04-12_21-56-04_mimas_v2/config/config.vhd" Line 7: Syntax error near "/".
>
> Sure enough, when I look at that file I see:
>
> 	constant CFG_SITE : integer := /usr/share/site/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu;
>
> Unsetting the CONFIG_SITE environment variable before starting the build seems
> to fix this issue! Now I just have to wait for my board to show up ;-)

Hi Trevor

Thanks for the report.

The soc_top/tools/soc.mk Makefile puts variables starting with CONFIG_
into the generated config.vhd and config.h files. It uses this

# .VARIABLES contains all variables. Filter it to just the CONFIG_*
variables.
CONF_VARS:=$(sort $(filter CONFIG_%,$(.VARIABLES)))

to grab the variables which also picks up environment variables. That's
obviously bad for having reproducible builds. We should sanitize the
environment or use a whitelist of known CONFIG_ variable names.

The whole CONFIG_* variable system of configuring the build is older and
used for fewer settings than before, but there is still some set in the
soc_top/soc_config.mk file which can be useful to override in a
board-specific Makefile.

> Best regards,
> 	Trevor
>
> ps FWIW I'm trying this out on an openSUSE "Leap" install (42.1)
> pps is there a link to the git repository of the bitstream source?

The repo of the bitstream source isn't available yet. We'll announce on
the mailing list when it is.

- Geoff